Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Intramural Football Team Goes Undefeated

Shivering in the cold and wearing only sport shorts, cleats and a t-shirt it's clear that these boys will withstand any weather elements to play a sport they love. Football.

A team composed of ten guys who are all BYU students, signed up in September to play intramural football. The team composed of all married students decided to represent their ward and be known as the 39th ward.

Some of the players who joined the team played since they were five.  Others playing football for the very first time in their lives.

Steven Skovran, a senior about to graduate in exercise science never played football in his life.

"It's a fun sport to watch and I wanted to try something new this year for intramural's," said Skovran.

Similarly, senior Jordan Ashcroft never played football professionally in his entire life.  He decided to join football to try a new sport.

"I never once played football in my life on a team," Ashcroft said. "I enjoy watching football especially the BYU cougars play. I knew if I loved watching them that I might love playing it too."

The 39th ward has so far gone undefeated. If they continue to win their games they will be bumped up to a higher division.

Jacob Brock a senior studying accounting, is the 39th ward team captain.  Since it will be his last year of playing intramural's he desperately wants his team to win.  Winners of the championship earn bragging rights and the win a t-shirt.

Brock who has played football professionally since high school absolutely loves playing and watching football.

"I played football my first two years of high school," Brock said. "I did summer camp and just before my junior and senior year I quit."

Brock mentioned that there were a number of reasons why he quit football. One of them was so that he could focus more on school and wanted to try new hobbies.

"I realized that there were more important things than football," Brock said.

The 39th ward went on to win their game; 28 to 6.  The team looks forward to playing future games and hopes to win their upcoming championship.










No comments:

Post a Comment